Meal Planner w.c. 10.05.21
This week’s meal planner contains some very easy to follow recipes, perfect for those on busy schedules. One sure to impress the fussiest of eaters and the busiest of families is the ‘Cheats Pizza Log’, using a baguette for a quick-fix pizza base!
Lemon & Thyme Chicken with Sweet Potato Mash, Stem Broccoli – Day 1
Time: 45 Mins
4 to 6 Chicken Thighs
1 x Medium Lemon, Thinly Sliced
6 x Sprigs of Thyme
Sweet Potato, Peeled and roughly chopped
1 x Tablespoon Paprika
Stem Broccoli, end trimmed
- Preheat the oven to 190.c (fan assisted) , cover the chicken thighs with a drizzle of olive oil and season well with salt and pepper.
- Then place the thighs skin side down in a large skillet or oven tray. Place the skillet over medium heat. and cook (without moving) for 15 minutes.
- When a lot of the fat from the chicken has rendered out and the skin has begun to crispen, flip the thighs over so the skin is on the top, then spread out the lemon slices and thyme sprigs over the chicken.
- Roast for a further 15 Minutes or until the chicken has completely cooked through.
- While the chicken is cooking peel, boil, and mash the sweet potato, with the paprika and some black pepper.
- Serve chicken thighs with steamed or boiled stem broccoli, and smokey sweet potato mash.
Authentic Mexican Chilli Con Carne (Vegan) – Day 2 (Slow Cooker)
Time: 7 Hours
- 3 x Tablespoon, Olive oil
- 400g Black Beans, 1 drained can
- 2 x Teaspoon Cumin, ground
- 1 x Onion, chopped
- 2 x Carrots, chopped
- 2 x 400g Chopped Tomatoes, 1 can
- 2 Celery sticks, finely chopped
- 1 x Tablespoon Tomato Purée
- 2 x Teaspoon,Smoked Paprika
- 2 x Garlic cloves, peeled and grated
- 1-2 Teaspoon Chilli Powder
- 1 x Teaspoon Rosemary, Dried
- 2 Sweet potatoes, peeled diced
- 1 x Red Pepper, roughly chopped
- 400g Kidney Beans, 1 drained can
- Fresh lime, guacamole, rice and coriander to serve
- 1 x Teaspoon of Cocoa Powder
- On a medium heat, heat oil in a large frying pan. Then add the chopped onion, carrot and celery (These are your aromatics). Cook these for 8-10 mins, until soft. Then peel, grate garlic and add to the pan. Then, empty in the sweet potato and cook for 1 more minute. Add all the dried spices, rosemary and tomato purée, cook for another 1 minute, then empty contents into a slow cooker.
- Add the red pepper and chopped tomatoes. Give everything a good stir then cook on low heat for 5 hrs. Stir in the beans & cocoa powder, then cook for another 30 mins to 1 hr. Season to taste.
Serve with lime & coriander infused rice, & cornbread.
Cheat’s Pizza Log – Day 3
Serves 4 – Prep Time: 35 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
1 large French Baguette, cut down along the middle
2 x Onion, peeled and finely diced.
2 x Garlic Clove, peeled and grated
2 x Cans of Chopped Tomato
1 x Tablespoon, Dried Basil
1 Tablespoon, Tomato Puree
Cheddar Cheese To Sprinkle on top
400g Chorizo Sausage, cooked and sliced.
- Pre-heat oven to 180.c (Fan). Now, heat oil in a medium sized saucepan, to a medium/high heat. Then fry onions until soft, about 7-8 mins. Then add in the garlic, continuously stirring, fry for another minute.
- Then add in puree stir and cook out for another minute. Then add chop tomatoes to the pan, bring to the boil and then simmer for 15-20 mins or until sauce has thickened. Stir in the dried herbs and cook for a further 2-3 mins. Then set aside to cool.
- Peel and slice chorizo, enough for the pizza. (Any remaining to be saved for tomorrow’s paella!). Spread the sauce on the bread then top with chorizo and cheese.
- Line on a roasting tray and bake in the oven for 10-15 mins or until the cheese has melted and started to brown.
Serve with rocket/salad leaves and cherry tomatoes.
Leftover’s Chicken & Chorizo Paella – Day 4
Time: 40 Mins
1 Tablespoon Smoked Paprika
1 Teaspoon Chilli Powder
900 ml Chicken stock
125 g (4oz) Chorizo, peeled, cut into small chunks
1 medium onion, roughly chopped
1 yellow pepper, thinly sliced
1 garlic clove, crushed
300g Long grain rice (Easy cook, or jasmine rice will do)
50 ml Dry white wine (optional)
100 g (3½oz) frozen peas
400 g Leftover Cooked Chicken, shredded
2 tbsp. freshly chopped parsley (optional)
Lemon wedges for squeezing
- Put Paprika into the chicken stock and mix. Set aside. (This will help bring the colour). In a deep frying pan or wide shallow saucepan, gently fry the chorizo for 2-3 mins until the oil has seeped out. Then remove from the pan and set aside, leaving the remaining oil in the pan. Add the onion and peppers, cook for 5 mins, then add the garlic and cook for 1 min longer.
- Stir in the chilli powder, and rice and cook for 1 minute making sure the rice is covered in the oil. If using wine add this now. Then add the paprika chicken stock. Bring to the boil then lower to a simmer for 20 mins until the stock has been absorbed and the rice is cooked.
- Stir in the chicken and peas, cook for 2 mins. Then remove from heat , cover and leave to stand for 5 mins.
***Serve with parsley and lemon wedges
Jumbo Fish Hot Dogs Day 5
Time: 20 Mins
6 x Large Frozen Battered Fish Fingers (Tesco do some lovely ones)
6 x Brioche Hot Dog Rolls
1 x Can of Mushy Peas
1 x Small bunch of Fresh Mint
1 x Lemon
2 x Gem Lettuce Head (Or an iceberg)
1 x Red Onion
½ A bunch of Spring Onions
- Cook Fish Fingers to Packet instructions.
- Meanwhile, finely Chop mint, add it to a pan with mushy peas and lemon juice. Bring to temperature, then set aside.
- Finely slice red onion, spring onion, and lettuce and set aside.
- Open hotdog rolls, using a spoon smear some mayonnaise along the inside, then repeat with the mushy peas. Then place the hot large fish finger on top.
- Top the Fish Finger Hot Dog with lettuce, red onion and spring onion. Enjoy!
**Top Tip Serve with wedges or sweet potato fries. And add some curry sauce for a real chip shop experience.