Sticky Sweet Chilli Beef
Since it’s the year of the ox we thought we would include a tasty Chinese inspired Beef noodle recipe for you to enjoy this lunar new year.
– 50g Spring Onion
– 30g Cornflour
– 30ml Soy Sauce
– 450g Minced Beef
– 30g Tomato Puree
- 30ml Sweet Chilli Sauce
- 150ml Water
- 20ml Veg Oil
- Cooked Noodles (x 4 Portions)
1. In a bowl, whisk together the sweet chilli sauce, soy sauce, tomato paste and water. Set aside.
- Break up mince, and pat dry. Add to a mixing bowl with the cornflour and a pinch of salt, gently mix in so beef strands are covered
- Heat a large pan over a medium heat, before adding oil.
- Add half the beef mince, and fry till lightly golden, giving it a light toss occasionally.
- Remove from the pan.
- Add the other tsp of oil and repeat with the remaining beef mince. Removing from the pan to start the sauce.
- Add the sauce ingredients to the pan and heat on medium high till sauce just starts to thicken
- Lower the heat then, Add back the beef and lightly shake the pan to coat the beef in the sauce.
- Top with Spring onions. To serve ladle on top of cooked noodles in a bowl.
Simple Vegan Sweet and Sour ‘Chicken’
For this recipe we’ve focused on using plant based ingredients in a simple recipe. In celebration of this Chinese lunar new year.
– 1 x pack of Quorn fillets or Tofu Cubes
– 1 Teaspoon of vegetable oil
– 1 x Red Pepper (Sliced)
– 1 x Carrot (Peeled,Sliced)
– 1 x Cup of Mushrooms (chopped into ¼’s)
– 1 x 8oz Can of Pineapple chunks (Drain and keep the juice)
Sweet & Sour Sauce:
- 3 Tablespoons of Brown Sugar
- 3 Tablespoons of Rice Wine Vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons of Tomato Ketchup
- Juice From Pineapple Can
- ¼ Cup of Vegetable Stock
- 3 Tablespoons of Cornflour
- 3 Tablespoons of water
- Cook Quorn Fillets or tofu to packet requirements.
- In a large pan over a medium high heat, fry pepper, carrots, mushrooms and pineapples.
- Cook for 7-8 Mins or until softened.
- Meanwhile make the sweet and sour sauce. Firstly make a slurry from the cornflour and water.Then using a whisk mix together with the vinegar, ketchup, sugar and stock.
- Genty Pour the mixture over the vegetables in the pan. Remove fillets from the oven , cut and place in the pan.
- Bring to a simmer and serve with egg fried rice.