Try this Seasonal Leek Recipe & Support World Food Day
Posted on October 12, 2023 by Danielle Orrillard
‘Hulk Smash Linguine’ is perfect for busy families with hungry mouths to feed!
Ready in under 30 mins
Seasonal leeks are at a their peak in the UK from October – so they taste sweet and are packed with nutrients right now.
Keep reading to discover a recipe that makes the most of this seasonal produce.
So how does this support World Food Day?
World Food Day occurs on the 16th of October. This year the FAO are promoting the topic of water conservation. Without this precious commodity we could not feed ourselves, but the agricultural impacts of this demand are felt across the world. Eating local and seasonal produce, can reduce the demand on agricultural water needs substantially.
Hulk Smash Linguine Recipe
Encourage fussy eaters to conquer this green dish by explaining that this is Bruce Banner’s favourite pasta. The greens are there to keep the Hulk happy, and we all know what happens if we don’t keep the Hulk happy!
400g (13oz) of linguine
2 sprigs of fresh thyme
150ml of single cream
2 leeks; quartered lengthways and thinly sliced
2 crushed garlic cloves
150g of frozen peas
50g (2oz) of finely grated Parmesan
2 tablespoons of chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil.
- Cook the linguine and thyme for 5 minutes, before adding the leeks and garlic.
- Simmer for a further 5 minutes, then add the peas.
- Cook for a further 2 minutes, or until al dente.
- Remove from the heat, drain, and then return to the pan.
- Discard the thyme sprigs and then stir through the Parmesan and cream.
- Divide the pasta between 4 bowls and scatter over the parsley and a little freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve and enjoy.
If this dish isn’t for you, don’t worry, Dolce Hive has plenty more recipes on offer.